William Gilpin School has a long history of service to the community. The school was originally founded by the Reverend William Gilpin in 1791 'For the Education of the Sons and Daughters of the Day Labourers of the Parish'. By 1870 the original building on the corner of School Lane was too small for the needs of the village and the present building was opened in 1875.
In 2009 the Governing Body decided to initiate a substantial building and redevelopment programme in order to meet a much increased demand for places. This would enable us to offer every child the best possible education and opportunities to meet the needs of the 21st century.
Following much planning, fundraising, negotiation and hard work by all concerned the building programme was successfully completed in December 2010. This has provided us with many additional facilities including two new classrooms, a bigger hall, changing rooms and a room for community use.
We are currently working on the development of the outside areas, which is being planned to enhance the external facilities and resources in our spacious school grounds.